Egypt

Image 188 of 201
< Prev Next >

Luxor_15:33.jpg

Looking over the Luxor Temple towards the West Bank of the River Nile.The 13th century Abu-al Haggag Mosque stands amid the ruins. The First Pylon of the temple complex was raised by Ramses II who ruled  Egypt from 1279-1213 BC and the Colonnade was built in the time of Amenhotep III who ruled from 1391-1353 or 1388-1351 BC.Two seated colossi of Ramses II and an 82 foot high pink granite obelisk stand at the temple gateway.The temple was dedicated to the Theban Triad of  Amun,Mut and Khonsu.The town of Luxor occupies the eastern part of a great city of antiquity which the ancient Egytians called Waset and the Greeks named Thebes.
twitterlinkedinfacebook