India

Image 221 of 402
< Prev Next >

Rajasthan_4978.jpg

Hawa Mahal or Palace of the Winds was built in 1799 by Maharaja Pratap Singh and designed by Lal Chand Ustad in the form of the crown of Lord Krishna.Built of red and pink sandstone it has 953 small windows called jharokhas that are decorated with intricate latticework.The original intention of the lattice was to allow royal ladies to watch everyday life in the street below without being seen,since they had to observe strict purdah (face cover). The facade is part of the City Palace complex in the old part of Jaipur in Rajasthan,India.
twitterlinkedinfacebook