Image 1 of 1

Medinet Habu_7643.jpg

Only the bases of the pillars remain in the second and third Hypostyle Hall of the mortuary temple of Ramses III at Medinet Habu at at Thebes.This view is towards the Shrine of the sacred barque of Amun and the granite statues of Ramses III.Thebes was the ancient capital of Egypt and was built in and around modern day Luxor.The ancient name for Medinet Habu was Djamet meaning "males and mothers." Its holy ground was believed to be where the Ogdoad,the four pairs of primeval gods,were buried.Medinet Habu was both a temple and a complex of temples.Queen Hatshepsut who ruled Egypt from 1479-1458 BC  and Tuthmosis III who reigned from 1479-1425 BC built a small temple to Amun on the site of an earlier structure. Next to their temple, Ramses III who reigned from 1186-1155 BC built his mortuary temple.He then enclosed both structures within a massive mud-brick enclosure.The temple precinct measures about 700 feet by 1000 feet and contains more than 75,350 sq ft of decorated surfaces across its walls.It is the best preserved of all the mortuary temples of Thebes.